Thursday, October 2, 2008

Recycling our "wedding stuff"

Is frugality to innovation what necessity is to invention?

Since Aaron and I might be entertaining our first guests this weekend, I was slightly more motivated to re-look at the pieces of decoration that have been laying around our home since we first moved. I have been surprised at how long it has taken me to get things unpacked and put away, but we're finally mostly organized.

The focus of our decoration has mostly been relegated to our bedroom, study, bathrooms, and kitchen as those are the most "lived-in" areas of our home. Surprisingly, we rarely use our living room at all --- perhaps its lack of furniture and isolation has everything to do with our disinclination towards it.

Knowing how well I love pictures, my husband generously gave me several gorgeous frames and wall decorations from Hobby Lobby for my birthday. They quickly transformed our bedroom from utilitarianism to homey coziness. I was one happy camper.

Our budget, though, restrained us from purchasing any other items for our kitchen. Yesterday morning, I was inspired to reconsider some of the candles, basket, and roses someone had kindly saved from our wedding. We had a cranberry-red themed wedding, so I was uncertain how red would interfere in our blue and oak-wood kitchen. In the end, the results weren't as tacky as I'd feared. Those different colors appear relegated to separate hemispheres of our kitchen. :-)

I used a silver 5 lights candle stand we purchased from Craigslist, some scotch tape, some porcelain votive candles I already owned, and some creativity to create this look:



~ Mrs. Arcfide

No comments: