Monday, September 29, 2008

Keep thy words soft and sweet

Human nature is ever growing, ever retrogressing... never static. Determined though one may be never to change, separation inevitably takes its toll on even the closest of friends. Divergent experiences and philosophies gained along life's way make each old-time reunion never quite the same.

Still, knowing this... one can't suppress the little sigh of disappointment that escapes at the realization that your friend is not, and will never again be the same as before. Changes are hard to appreciate, even if they have been wrought for improvement's sake.

Outward changes are by far the most conspicuous. Others have lamented the changes they saw in me. Was it just my appearances, manner or beliefs?

Have I learned to be more prudent and discerning? I hope so. More imperious and sophomorical? I pray not.

Keep thy words soft and sweet: someday you might have to eat them.

7 Things I'd proclaimed over the rooftops, and have had to renege:
  1. "I'll never get married."
  2. "I don't wear pants because they're not modest."
  3. "When I grow up, I'm going to be a drummer."
  4. "Music with a beat is wrong."
  5. "I'm not into eye make-up."
  6. "I hate bean sprouts."
  7. "I can't cook."
~ Mrs. Arcfide

2 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Great post! Pray tell, how did you learn to like bean sprouts? ;)

Unknown said...

I think they just grew on me... my changing taste buds. ;-)